AT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT
• Make sure you get a copy of the South Carolina DMV FR-10 Notice of Requirement from the investigating officer. This form provides the insurance information for each driver.
• Respond honestly to the investigating officer's questions, but do not admit any liability. You may not be aware of all that happened. Let the investigating officer and the insurance investigators gather the necessary facts and evidence to determine liability..
• Gather as much information as possible regarding the accident, including photographs of all vehicles, other drivers and passengers involved.
• Get the names and phone numbers of witnesses. You can't always rely on the investigating officer to do this.
• Keep notes on any conversations or interactions at the scene of the accident - whether you are a part of the conversation or just overhear it.
• Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. If you are too injured to do so, have someone else make the call for you.